Friday, February 13, 2009

The Book Lover's Ball

It was a very enjoyable event, and I worked hard to promote Ryerson and the Library. I had great fun introducing myself to people who I thought would make very engaging speakers at the Library.


Over the course of the evening I chatted with former PM the Honourable Paul Martin; Colin and Justin, the manic Scottish design duo; Debbie Travis, design diva; Brian Bailey, fashion designer and Project Runway maven; Peter Robinson, mystery writer; Stuart Maclean, CBC host and Ryersonian; and Marina Endicott, Giller-nominated writer, actor and dramaturge. Every one of them said they would be happy to come for an informal session with students at the Library.


I was really impressed with the event itself. A reception allowed mingling and silent auction bidding; then a dinner with CBC's Diana Swain hosting; a live auction with trips, fur coats etc. going for astonishing amounts of cash; and finally a fashion show with a history of Harlequin Romances theme. Each table had a designated author: ours was Marina Endicott who was absolutely charming, down to earth and easy to talk to.

I met several members of TPL senior management, including Jane Pyper, the new Chief Librarian. One director asked if I would come and talk to their senior team about the Student Learning Centre. Of course I readily agreed!

I am more keen than ever to see us have a fundraising Ball for the Student Learning Centre. Robert Ott, Chair of Fashion, agrees! I shall approach Advancement about it.

1 comment: