Monday, January 12, 2009

Reality check


First day back from vacation and the reality of another busy semester is hitting me fast.

I have learned that I'm not as infallible as I thought - I have always been a very careful and aware traveller but thieves are very sophisticated and often work in pairs. Guy 1 pushed in front of me in the bus line and engaged the driver in conversation, while preventing me from passing. Meanwhile Guy 2 was carefully extracting my wallet and its contents from inside a shoulder bag which was tucked under my arm. I still can't believe it. By the time I got back to Canada the Police had written to me to close the file for lack of evidence. So what about all the CCTV cameras which are absolutely everywhere in London? Too much crime about to deal with little things like this. No little thing for me though - all my identity gone in an instant.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I had similar experience when I was travelling in Italy. I found a hand in my purse just under my arm! Luckily nothing was stolen. I guess it happens everywhere - try not to look rich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree...not looking rich is very important when surrounded by the poor...although my uncle would want to know...how poor is poor enough...

    sorry to hear about your identity loss...the thing about karma is that no matter how much they take, it will never be enough...sooner or later, it will catch up with them

    ReplyDelete